VP of Engineering
VP of Engineering
Baraja is changing the world of self-driving cars through the
invention of a new type of LiDAR called Spectrum-Scan™ that delivers ultra-high
performance at high resolution, even at incredibly far distances. Today, Baraja
LiDAR is already deployed in multiple verticals, working with global automotive
and industrial partners.
Originally founded in Sydney, Australia, we also have offices in San Francisco, China and Europe. We are funded by Sequoia, Blackbird and Main Sequence Ventures and we are excited to continue growing the team, so if you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you!
We are looking for a dynamic leader to take on, build and grow our engineer team in a VP of Engineering position directly reporting to the CEO.
You will lead a cross-disciplinary team of over 40 engineers (Systems, Electronics, Firmware, Algorithms, Software, Optics, Mechanical, and Reliability) and Project Managers focused on the design and deployment of new product features for Baraja's LiDAR technology working across three technology horizons.
Over the course of a year you will successfully attract and onboard engineering talent to roughly double the size of the team and create commensurate organisational structures that allow us to maintain speed and quality of engineering delivery.
You will work closely with the Product Management team to define the product Roadmap and will be ultimately responsible for delivering it, on time, within quality standards and budget.
Inside the Job
You will design and implement an engineering organisation capable of delivering an aggressive roadmap of products across three different technology horizons with quality and speed.
Engineering Quality: you will introduce a Stage-Gate process across technology horizons and improve the quality of the engineering releases and products.
Engineering Speed: you will double (and later triple) the speed of the feature releases to customers, and ensure new products are launched on-time.
Engineering Team and Culture: you will attract and organise an engineering team capable of delivering new products consistently across the three technology horizons. You will curate a culture of excellence in engineering that prides in delivering actual value to customers and lead by example.
If you are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic leadership role in a start-up we are keen to hear from you.
· Proven experience (5+ years) in leading, scaling and managing a team of over 70 cross-disciplinary engineers in high-tech, fast-paced product development (e.g. product releases yearly or more frequently).
- Proven experience leading engineering teams within a product-led organisation (e.g. product triads comprised of product, engineering and design groups) across multiple technology horizons.
- Experience with and scaling different project and product management methodologies (e.g. Agile, scrum, waterfall) methodologies and how to blend these with the rigour of applied Systems Engineering.
- Excellent synthesis and visual communication skills, data-centric, and with the ability to articulate complex problems, root-causes, alternatives and solutions.
- Engineering management led by KPIs and OKRs.
- Development experience, coaching, mentoring and growing engineering talent
- Australian working rights.
Be part of a high-performance team
We work toward our goals by being in constant communication in person and through a range of technologies. We also have big ears for feedback from customers to help us continually improve the Baraja experience. We are pretty good at what we do (but definitely not perfect), so you’ll be learning from and working with a top-flight team on a mission to be better every day.
What matters to us
We believe that our culture is one of our most important assets and we’ve wrapped it up with three key values that we do our best to live up to every day:
· Hustle to deliver on hard and meaningful problems - Passion to achieve. Resilience & learning. What's the next challenge?
· Develop sustained high performance - It’s not enough to design amazing products, we need to design the means to manufacture these products, at scale.
· Build the machine that builds the machine - Great teams make great things. They also respectfully challenge each other to reach the next milestone.
What are you waiting for? If this role excites you, we’re keen to have a chat!
VP of Engineering